Cheap BLE : JDY-08

Disclaimer : This post is based on my experience which is completely subjective, in no way I am promoting any application or product ūüėČ

 

I have been trying to get my hands into BLE4.0 modules since long. As always I was looking for small, cheap solution, JDY-08 was one of solution I came across – it seemed just Perfect !

JDY-08
JDY-08 Module

It is based on TI-CC2541 SOC, Low power consumption – long range Voila!

Below is what is being advertised by most vendors:

  1. maximum transmit power of 0db, the maximum transmission distance of 80 meters.
  2.  support serial allowing users to modify the device name through AT commands service UUID, transmit power, pairing password instructions, convenient to use and flexible.
  3. Ultra-low standby power consumption 400uA ~ 800uA
  4. Ultra-long connection distance 100 ft / 60 m
  5. Fast reaction speed 0.4 secondsFor Apple, AndroidReceive no byte limit, up to 6K Bytes/sec.

I quickly ordered 10pcs without a second thought.

Below is what you should keep in mind:

  1. Datasheet, documentation – everything is in Chinese! Cool !
    Luckily, Few folks did translation –¬†https://docs.google.com/document/d/14mHWT3GhELCj-6yxsam0k5bjzazq8nnPoz4B_gYh04k
    Also, you can check http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=432074.0 because this is the only helpful resource in the web.
  2. Firmware is broken – at least for me, some other user confirmed same in above Arduino thread.
  3. No other support.
  4. Non-standard board pitch, you cannot use header pins

But it is good in many ways:

  1. Small size, thin, light, small – cool!
  2. If you use HC-05 or HC-06 for transparent communication, you can use GATT terminal for transparent communication.
  3. Very low power consumption – from my tests, I found 0.5ma consumption.
  4. Long range Рupto 30meters without optimization.
  5. iBeacon mode – works fine – but power consumption was 0.5ma

I was unable to test as I could only use GATT write & notify methods, AT commands to change mode & device name, even AT+RST returned ERR.

You can use following tools to test :

Below is schematic I followed:

 

 

 

mm

Newbie (Student, Developer, Programmer and Electronic Hobbyist)

3 Comments


  1. Could you share the schematic, code for this setup? Also which firmware did you get to work and how did you updated it?

    Reply
    1. mm

      The schematics and codes are pretty conventional.
      You should connect VCC, P00, P03, P02 according to datasheet https://docs.google.com/document/d/14mHWT3GhELCj-6yxsam0k5bjzazq8nnPoz4B_gYh04k/edit#heading=h.y2skwch0nuf8
      And you can use Serial Communication code only. Let me know if you need more references.

      The default firmware is what I have been using and No I didn’t get time to update it – so no updates, But few people have succeeded in doing so – I have added links.

      Reply

  2. I had the same problems like you. I meant I could not use most AT commands properly. Then I finally figured out that all AT commands should not end with ‘new line’. I tried accordingly and get everything done successfully. Hope my comments still useful.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *